Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I Can Now Go Home With No Hassle (Let's Hope I Don't Jinx Myself)

I'm leaving Barcelona on Friday. I have a 3:30 flight out of Girona-Barcelona airport to London-Stansted Airport, upon which I'll be spending the night in London, before flying back to the States the next day. However, for a little bit, I wasn't sure if I was even going to get out of Spain. Spanish baggage handlers were threatening a strike during the upcoming May Day weekend holiday, choosing April 29 and May 4 as their strike days. The 29th is the day I fly out of Girona. Until now.

From Ryan Air's website:

Ryanair was advised today 27th April that the proposed strike action by Spanish Baggage Handlers for Friday 29th April & Wednesday 4th May 2005 has been cancelled. Normal flight operations will apply and check-in baggage will be accepted in accordance with Ryanair's terms and conditions. Ryanair apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers by this threatened strike action which is now cancelled.

Thank God. Otherwise, if the strike was going to carry on, I would have been screwed. I have a huge suitcase, a huge duffel bag, a smaller travel bag and a book bag - the latter two I'd carry on. There was no way they would let me carry on my two big bags, and I don't know how I would have gotten my bags to London in time for my Saturday afternoon flight home out of Heathrow.

Anyway, I could not believe, that of all the days the unions here chose to strike, they had to pick the day I was leaving. I somehow have the best luck flying to and from Europe. I say this because coming to Barcelona via Paris in January, I missed my flight from Newark to Paris because my flight out of Pittsburgh was delayed a half hour. Fortunately, the folks at Air France at Newark were able to put me on stand-by on the next flight to Paris -- only problem was that the flight was out of Kennedy airport! They advised me to get in a cab ASAP and high-tail it to JFK. They said if my bags didn't come in off the Pittsburgh-Newark flight, forget about them (because they were tagged final destination Barcelona) and get over to JFK. Of course, my bags didn't show up.

So I get a taxi, tell the cabbie (a really nice guy from Egypt) my "situation," and he gets me to JFK in 45 minutes -- half the time in normally takes to get from Newark International to JFK. The bill came to (including tip) 120 freaking dollars. Drama already, and I hadn't even left the country! I checked in at JFK -- 10 minutes before the flight closed -- and, thankfully, I was bumped up from stand-by. Walking to my gate, I finally began to breath again. I was at least going to Europe. My two big bags, on the other hand, didn't make it to Barcelona until four days after I arrived. As you can imagine my first week basically sucked. But I made the most of it.

And so, here I am, four months later, ready to head back home. My Spanish has gotten a lot better - from where it was. I can read the paper and hold a basic conversation. I got to see a lot of Catalonia, London (again; and I'll be visiting again on Friday!), San Sebastian, Rome, and Mainz and Wiesbaden, Germany. Also during the course of my stay, I got an internship at the Claremont Institute in California (which is, I think, about an hour or so east of Los Angeles). I'll be working there from the beginning of June to the end of July. So I'll have May to re-adjust (i.e. catching up on Seinfeld re-runs, Brit Hume, ESPN, etc.) and all of August to get ready for my last semester at Penn State. And then, sometime early next year, I voluntarily become property of the United States government and the United States Army!

Lot of stuff going on right now. Pretty exciting time. Barcelona to California to PSU to the Army. The scary part is how fast it's all going by.

15 Comments:

Blogger Get-A-Free-House said...

How would you like to own a custom-built house at a 42% to 100% discount? Find out how today by visiting Get-A-Free-House.com

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love custom car decal then you will want to be there! All kinds of custom car decal will be in attendance. For more information go to custom car decal
See Ya There!!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site http://www.discount-spanish-property.co.uk/ it pretty much covers
spanish costa blanca property sale related stuff come and have a look

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your golf property roda spanish blog is great golf property roda spanish

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
. You can check it out at Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that I agree with you 100%. You might like this discount golf equipment golf site that I came across. Thanks again for your insight.

2:11 AM  
Blogger sneakerfreaks said...

WHOLESALE DIRECT JORDANS AF1 AND MANY MORE IGOTKICKS.COM

WHOLESALE, DIRECT FROM CHINA FACTORY, for custom Air Jordan, AF1, Air Max, Bape STA, Dunk, Timberland, M&N throwback Jersey, etc.
please check out our website: http://www.igotkicks.com?/ref=6

we carry best quality of urban products: Jordan, sneakers, throwback, jerseys; Jacob watch, Custom kicks like Air Force One, AF1, Gucci AF1, LV AF1, Burberry AF1, NBA AF1, NBA Jordan, Air Jordan, Jordan I, Jordan II, Jordan III, Jordan IV, Jordan V, Jordan VI, Jordan VII, Jordan VIII, Jordan IX, Jordan X, Jordan XI, Jordan XII, Jordan XIII, Jordan XIV, Jordan XV, Jordan XVI, Jordan XVII, Jordan XVIII, Jordan XIX, Timberland, Dunk Low, Dunk High, Air Max, Air Blush 50 Cent, M&N jersey, NBA throwback, NFL throwback, Jacob watch, Ape, Bape, and etc. Custom kick, Air Jordan kick, exclusive kick, side kick, throwback jersey, designer fabrics, custom made jerseys, NBA throwback jersey, M&N throwback jersey, NBA hat, NBA cap, NFL throwback jersey.

11:13 PM  
Blogger jefftyrome said...

For custom shoes and more visit variant air jordans. The best spot for variant air jordans and more! variant air jordans variant air jordans

6:19 AM  
Blogger Interad said...

Hello, I am a korean visitor, good to see you.
I am sure that your blog page looks great to me which mean looking crowded so, I would like to let everybodies know korea information official site korea.net same as Dynamic korea - contains all about korea news and informations, please let me introducel this cool site. Dynamic korea offer korea travel, culture, food, arts and government info exactly what you want to knowcall korea. You better check it out some time.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's talk PR. Please feel free to visit my blog too at
, RushPRnews Daily Gazette, Open-Call for Writers.
My site is** RushPRnews press release services, distribution and free web posting** . Cordially, Anne Laszlo-Howard

12:16 PM  
Anonymous airport parking said...

M t, I just wanted to post a quick note on your blog about Gatwick Parking,
Heathrow Parking,
Stansted Parking,
Birmingham Parking and
Manchester Parking.

This site is based on UK airports and provide booking facilities for Airport Parking, Hotels, Lounges, Cheap Flights, Car Rental, Cruises,
Holiday Taxi Transfers and much more so if you need to book any of these travel extras then please go to this site
Click Here

Brought to you by Airport Essentials

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great denver broncos flag blog you have here. I'm always looking for info on denver broncos flag. You can check out my forum about denver broncos flag if you have a chance.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your
efforts and I am waiting for your further post thanks once again.


Also visit my blog - Air Max Pas Cher

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home