Thursday, February 10, 2005

Closer than we think?

American and European relations, that is, according to Jim Glassman. Everything Glassman says is spot on, but I'm not fully convinced our European friends - especially the European public as a whole - are on board with American policy yet. I think, as Glassman writes, "They have finally come to understand that, with his re-election, Bush is here to stay." Therefore, they better at least give him the time of day to see if his Middle East democracy project is something they want to be apart of. But I look at the EU's intention to strategically align with the Chinese (and end the arms embargo). I look at, at least from what I've seen and read here in Spain, the European media and its persistence in portraying the U.S. as this neo-colonial power controlled by the power-hungry neoconservatives. I look at the European publics on the whole and see a culture that values paid-holidays and easy unemployment compensation over work incentives and an entrepreneurial outlook on life. I look at look at modern Franco-American history. I look at the political power of the anti-Americanism phenomenom. I look at all these things and realize how different Americans and Europeans really are, and in turn, wonder what will become of these differences. This is something I hope to better understand as I continue to live and learn here in Barcelona and as events unfold around us. But for right now I need some sleep.

2 Comments:

Anonymous jimmm said...

PLEASE tell me how the 'new colonial" or, "imperialist" labels started sticking to the united states? i always think, "where are the colonies of the united states...where is the empire of the united states? the imperialist/empire label never ceases to amaze me in its pervasiveness in the european media despite it's lack of any one country as evidence.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous jimmmy said...

PLEASE tell me how the 'new colonial" or, "imperialist" labels started sticking to the united states? i always think, "where are the colonies of the united states...where is the empire of the united states? the imperialist/empire label never ceases to amaze me in its pervasiveness in the european media despite it's lack of any one country as evidence.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home